GMJ Talks with John H. Fleming and Jim Asplund, authors of Human Sigma: Managing the Employee-Customer Encounter
Posted by: meikah | 18 February 2008 | 9:56 pm
Jennifer Robison of Gallup Management Journal (GMJ) talked with John H. Fleming and Jim Asplund, the authors of Human Sigma: Managing the Employee-Customer Encounter.
The premise of the study, which led to the book, is: the equation of “engaged employees + engaged customers” produced results far exceeding what the researchers expected.
Here are some of the insights from the talk:
- Fleming: HumanSigma was developed as a response to the lack of effectiveness of Six Sigma methodology to increase productivity from people.
- Asplund: …because people — employees and customers — are much more unpredictable than machines, they can’t be managed or directed in prescribed ways.
- On the importance of humanity in business – Asplund says: A company can’t control people’s emotional reactions… he reason a company must understand the essential humanity of its customers and employees is because they are people first and customers and employees second. They’re living, breathing, real people. Before a business can manage them effectively, it must understand how customers and employees think and how they react; it must understand their psychology and their emotional infrastructure.
- On standard is better than variation – Fleming says: No, it just creates mediocrity. There’s a paradox here that is important to recognize. What we’re suggesting is that companies that have concentrated on creating consistency of execution have failed to create consistency in the outcomes that execution is intended to produce. Most are trying to control the process through which employees are delivering service by mandating the steps.
iSixSigma Featured Link
Book Cover credit
Filed under: Human Sigma, Interview, iSixSigma, Six Sigma
Posted by: meikah | 10 February 2008 | 8:33 pm
For those of you here in Metro Manila, here’s some good news.
Deming Management Systems(R), a division of Kairos Management Technologies, is bringing you the management benchmarking forum on Human Sigma: The Heart and Soul of Employee-Customer Relations.
Below are the complete details.
February 21, 2008, 1:00pm, Hotel Intercontinental, Makati City
Designed for corporate managers in human resources, marketing, sales, total quality, and customer relations, this forum introduces the participants to proven methods of using employee-customer interaction as one strategic measure to drive financial performance.
LINE-UP OF RESOURCE SPEAKERS
Theoretical Framework: Prof. Nenette Barrios, Professorial Lecturer, De La Salle – Professional Schools
Best Practice 1: Mr. Reuben San Jose Pangan, Vice President, Customer Relations, Sun Cellular
Best Practice 2: Mr. Florendo G. Maranam, Vice President, Human Resources, Bank of P.I.
Best Practice 3: Mr. Emmanuel A. Aligada, Head for Customer Relations, Globe Telecom
Best Practice 4: Ms. Cristina Fe N. Arevalo, Vice President, Human Resources, Toyota Motor
REGISTRATION RATE POLICY
Investment is P5,000/person to cover the cost of participation, snack, training kit, and certificate of participation. A special P4,000 rate is extended to all participants who are currently based in Visayas and Mindanao.
Participants are entitled to get a free copy of the 305-page book – “The Buzzword-Centric Workplace” written by Reylito A. H. Elbo, business columnist of Business World and Manila Times. This special edition of management buzzwords is not available in popular bookstores.
No difficult registration forms to fill-up. To register, simply send an e-mail with the subject line “HUMAN SIGMA”to email@example.com with the participant’s information:
1. Name you want to appear in the registration and certificate
2. Nickname (for the name tag)
3. Job title
6. Industry class
7. Contact person
9. Fax number
10. Mobile phone of contact person in case of emergency announcements
As soon as we receive your registration, a billing statement will be sent to the contact person. All payments should be made via bank deposit in favor of Kairos Management Technologies, Union Bank C/A 00126-000339-8.
For an on-the-spot decision, group discount, or further details, please call/send SMS to:
REYLITO A. H. ELBO, FPM, CESO
Chief Strategist and Convenor
Kairos Management Technologies
5/F Builders Center, 170 Salcedo Street, Legaspi Village, Makati City 1223
Tel. 822-6660, 751-6730 Fax. 823-3532 Mobile 0919-808-7023 or 0915-406-3039